Wednesday 24 March 2021

DFI - Week 7

Exploring Devices

 Kia ora, 

Today was all about putting ourselves into our students shoes and trialling the digital devices, tools and extensions they are using daily within our classrooms.  

As a regular Chromebook user, I was grateful for the opportunity to learn a number of shortcuts unbeknown to me.  I will certainly be using the shortcut to restore my screen to 100%, thank you to Maria Krausse, our DFI bubble co-ordinater extraordinaire.

It was enjoyable to reconnect with Explain Everything.  This I-pad app was once a staple for me as a TA creating learning opportunities for students.  It has been a long time since creating using EE and it was nice to have an opportunity to re-familiarise myself with a fun, engaging programme.

As per each week, I look forward to Dorothy Burt's morning presentations about the Manaiakalani journey and pedegogy.  Thinking about the focus, today, of ubiquitous - anytime, anywhere, any pace - learning was a timely reminder of how we were able to harness ubiquitous learning and "keep calm and keep learning" while restricted to our Covid lockdown bubbles.  I was fortunate to be able to transform into the "Super Scientist" each week during lockdown and conduct follow along with me kitchen science mayhem with our Ohaeawai students all from the dining room table.  Did the kids engage? They sure did! All thanks to the power of ubiquitous learning.

Using extensions like Screencastify meant as teachers we could continue our teaching and students could retain uninterrupted learning while at home.  Using the Manaiakalani Cybersmart content, I have created a Screencastify of Cybersmart values.  Admittedly, I am hesitant and a little lost for the right words in parts, but did I find value in being able to re-create information in a new way - you bet.  Will I continue to practice creating and sharing using Screencastify, absolutely!

Thank you visiting my blog.  I love hearing from me so please leave a comment.

Nga mihi 

4 comments:

  1. An informative blog post today. I especially enjoyed listening to your screencastify post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Sonya. Thank you for comment. It really does make all of the fussing and muddling around with buttons and downloading worthwhile if our sharing is enjoyed by others. I hope you got on well today given the fickle nature of the internet!

      Delete
  2. Kia ora Lisa, Great to hear that screencastify is a useful tool for you. I find putting ourselves out there - our voice and face - can be challenging but I tell myself to just get over it. Besides, we ask learners to do this so we should just do it. Can you see your learners using screencastify as well?
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia ora Maria, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I have to agree that it is confronting seeing and hearing yourself on the screen, however to become better educators and to gain a greater understanding about our students learning, yes we do just need to get over it and get on with it. It is interesting you ask about whether students are using Screencastify, because to date with my 5/6 year class we have not. However, it is an extension that most years 3 and above would have had an opportunity to use in the past. I think as part of our responsibility under the digital technologies curriculum, I need to ensure that students are getting opportunities to reuse screencastify alongside the staples of Google Draw/Slides/Docs.

      Delete

External Recognition

Google Certified Educator - Level 1 I did it!  My certificate for passing the Google Certified Educator Level 1.   I feel a great sense of s...